Endorsement process and Guidelines
EQMI Action Network endorses viable candidates running for local office, statewide offices, and the state legislature who have a proven track record of supporting equal rights and legal protections for LGBT Michiganders and who are committed to advancing these goals in their capacity as elected officials.
EQMI Action Network conducts field research to determine candidates’ records on LGBT equality and social justice and will extend invitations to participate in the endorsement process based on past record, viability, and EQMI Action Network priority considerations.
Endorsement by EQMI Action Network requires completion of a candidate questionnaire and candidate interviews. Candidates who are interested in our endorsement should contact Erin Knott at eknott@equalitymi,org as early as possible to inform us of your candidacy.
- Candidate must be 100% in support of LGBT equality to be considered for endorsement.
- Candidate must be viable and able to run a competitive campaign.
- Candidate’s depth of work in support of full LGBT equality.
- Is candidate openly lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender?
- Will this candidate diversify our support base?
- EQMI Action Network gives endorsement preference to incumbents with a 100 percent favorable voting record.
- Candidates who have no voting record shall receive an endorsement only after favorable review of their comprehensive candidate questionnaire.
- We invite all candidates, regardless of party, to return a questionnaire and apply for our endorsement.
NOTE: A candidate who is not 100 percent in support of full LGBT equality is not eligible for endorsement, all questionnaires must be submitted by August 28th, 2018 by 5:00pm EST.
Paid for by Equality Michigan Pride PAC.